Surefoot founder, Jim Medema, has conducted FileMaker training classes, coaching, and mentoring students on all things FileMaker for nearly 25 years, from coast to coast, and at the annual FileMaker Developer Conference.
While online videos abound, many people find an in-person classroom experience to provide much better learning results, especially for beginner and intermediate developers. We watch them ourselves (yes!) for reference and continuing education. But there’s something that happens in a hands-on, in-person training session that cannot be matched in video training or reading through PDF downloads.
Here are common refrains from Surefoot training students:
- The simple act of getting off-site and away from the phones, emails, meetings and other distractions was the biggest factor for me. I just couldn’t make progress when I was at work – too many interruptions. When I’m here, I can focus!
- The videos are great, but I can’t stop them and ask the instructor to address my question, or ask them how it applies to my situation. The opportunity to interact with an expert instructor throughout the day helped me the most.
- I’ve found the videos helpful if I had specific topic area questions. Then again, finding a video to that addressed my specific situation was often impossible to find.
- To get the benefit of what I learned in 3 days of in-person instruction, I would have had to sit through 3-times as many hours of online videos. I just don’t have that kind of time.
- I’m still pretty new to development and the information online was too scattered. Having a single, coherent 0-to-60 kind of hands-on training was exactly what I needed.
- It was odd how much I learned when other students were asking questions about their systems and situations. It provided perspectives that I could never have gained if the only thing I had seen was example files and my own database. Truly, my world opened up about what databases can do and where and how they can be used!
And while some consultants say that they offer training, most don’t offer classes or have anyone on staff who was trained as a teacher, has written curriculum, or has the years of teaching, coaching and mentoring that Jim has.
Interesting Fact: Jim Medema was the original developer behind the most-used example file in the original FileMaker Training Series called “Bonsai Gardens.” It is the single most-studied database file in FileMaker history and has been taught to tens of thousands of people worldwide.
Read the information below, or call (612-743-9527) to learn more about our FileMaker Training offerings and find out which one is best for you!